OST Review: Yosuga no Sora

12:53 PM

When it comes to anime, I'm really particular with the OST so I'm going to review more of this stuff in the coming days.


Now, I understand that Yosuga no Sora is an R-18 anime which they say has over-the-borderline mature content so for the safety of my (not really) innocent mind I decided not to watch the series. But how did I get to listen to the OST without watching the anime? Well, I discovered this song on Tumblr which was originally an audio post.

I decided to pick out one which has a tutorial in case you guys want to learn this on the piano. I immediately searched for this on YouTube after listening to the track because I thought this was worth learning. It's not really hard though if you can get the gist of the arrangement right away.

What instantly came out of my mind was: WOW. It's so dramatic but pleasurable to the ears. I love the chords used in this piece. It's full of minor 7's and major 7's and I absolutely love these chords so much because (I might not explain in properly so please bear with my feels) it gives a warm and icy feeling at the same time but I can't say they sound lukewarm. I also tend to imagine an autumn scenery whenever I use major 7 or minor 7 chords but in this piece I can imagine almost all of the pretty sceneries.

The rest of the tracks in the OST album are also amazing. Most of them sound really dramatic like you could think of every beautiful sadness in this world but they're not overly dramatic which is what I like about them. As you listen to the album, you tend to notice the signature or similar part most of the pieces possess although they were arranged differently. I think all of the songs are really well thought out despite their quite simple arrangement. They are perfect for scenes that are full of nature as well as scenes that are at least dramatic enough to make somebody feel the drama as well. To me, they are not really fit for tragic scenes.

Until now I'm confused as to why and how composers of the OST could make such beautiful tracks for a 12-episode erotic anime, not that I'm degrading that type of anime or anything but you couldn't just compose amazing pieces for really mature content. I wonder how they accepted that kind of deal.

Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

This is currently my favorite OST album of all time. Like seriously, whenever I go outside with my earphones on, I always listen to this because it feels like having background music in your life.

Click here to listen to some of the songs compiled in a YouTube playlist.

You Might Also Like

0 comments